Location of the monument:
When the Nazi troops entered Alūksne in July 1941, all Jews of the town were arrested. On 12 August a German SD unit (“Arājs’ Commando”) with the assistance of local self–defenders convoyed the arrested Jews together with other victims of other ethnicities to the Siseņi Pine Grove near the bounds of Alūksne and shot them.
During the Soviet period on the site of murder in the Siseņi Pine Grove a monument was erected, it bears an inscription in Latvian and Russian: “In this place in the summer of 1941 bourgeois nationalists murdered 300 residents of Alūksne”. In the 1960s the victims were reinterred from the site of murder in the Brethren Cemetery of Alūksne.
- Meler M. Jewish Latvia: Sites to Remember. Tel-Aviv: Association of Latvian and Estonian Jews in Israel, 2013.
- Ezergailis A. The Holocaust in Latvia, 1941-1944: The Missing Center. Riga: The Historical Institute of Latvia; Washington, DC: US Holocaust Memorial Museum, 1996.
Search for the related names of Jews at http://names.lu.lv.