Location of the monuments:
At the beginning of World War II about a half of Jewish inhabitants managed to leave Kārsava, some of Jews were drafted into the Red Army. When the Nazi occupation began, on 20 July 1941, the remaining Jews of Kārsava were placed in a provisional ghetto (in a specific block of the town). Those Jews, who did not follow the order on moving, were shot. In August and the end of September mass shooting of Jews was organised. It was conducted by the local auxiliary police and a German SD unit in the Naudaskalns Brethren Cemetery (approximately 4 kilometres from Kārsava).
Two of the victims, who were killed in Kārsava at the beginning of August 1941 before the mass-scale actions in Naudaskalns, after the war were reinterred in the Jewish Cemetery of Kārsava, a monument was erected to each of them – one is dedicated to Yakov Selikowitsch, with an inscription in Russian, the other bears an inscription in Hebrew.
- Meler M. Jewish Latvia: Sites to Remember. Tel-Aviv: Association of Latvian and Estonian Jews in Israel, 2013.
- Ezergailis A. The Holocaust in Latvia, 1941-1944: The Missing Center. Riga: The Historical Institute of Latvia; Washington, DC: US Holocaust Memorial Museum, 1996.
Search for the related names of Jews at http://names.lu.lv.